The microAeth® Model AE51 is the world's first ever real-time, pocket-sized Black Carbon aerosol monitor. This smartphone sized instrument is small enough to be worn by a person in order to measure the real-time concentration of black carbon they may be exposed to. The microAeth incorporates the same Aethalometer® measurement technology which has been used worldwide for over 25 years but in a package that can fit in your pocket.
The instrument operates continuously for up to 24 hours on a single battery charge and can be externally powered by the included wall power adapter, or an additional external battery option for longer run times. The air sample is collected on T60 (Teflon coated glass fiber) filter media, and analyzed in real time. The filter media is housed in an easy to replace filter strip for simple handling in the field.
The microAeth has been used to take measurements of cookstoves, tobacco smoke exposure as well as on planes, trains, bicycles, even on weather balloons measuring vertical profiles of Black Carbon in the atmosphere. This versatile instrument can be used to easily measure Black Carbon just about anywhere.
- Measurement Principle
- Real-time analysis by measuring the rate of change in absorption of transmitted light due to continuous collection of aerosol deposit on filter. Measurement at 880 nm interpreted as concentration of Black Carbon (‘BC’).
- Measurement Range
- 0-1 mg BC/m3, filter life time dependent on concentration and flow rate setting:
- avg. 5 μg BC/m3 for 24 hours @ 100 ml/min
- avg. 100 μg BC/m3 for 3 hours @ 50 ml/min
- avg. 1 mg BC/m3 for 15 minutes @ 50 ml/min
- Measurement Resolution
- 0.001 μg BC/m3
- Measurement Precision
- ±0.1 μg BC/m3, 1 min avg., 150 ml/min flow rate
- Measurement Timebase (User setting)
- 1, 10, 30, 60, or 300 seconds
- Flow Rate (User setting)
- Internal pump provides 50, 100, 150, or 200 ml/min, monitored by mass flow meter and stabilized by closed-loop control.
- 3 mm spot created on filter strip containing insert of T60 Teflon-coated borosilicate glass fiber filter material. PM2.5 size selective inlet available.
- Filter strip: 1 filter strip per sampling campaign, typically one per day. High concentration sampling may require more than one filter per day.
- Data Storage
- 4 MB internal flash memory, providing up to 1 month data storage when operating on a 300 second timebase, and 1 week when operating on a 60 second timebase.
- USB connectivity to Windows®-based PC with microAethCOM.
- Data Output
- Internal data files are uploaded to microAethCOM PC software and stored on local disk.
- PC Software
- microAethCOM software is included. Provides visual interface including real-time BC mass concentration values. Facilitates settings configuration, calibration routines, downloading data, and uploading new instrument firmware.
- 4.6 in (117 mm) L x 2.6 in (66 mm) W x 1.5 in (38 mm) D
- Approximately 9.88 ounces (280 g).
- Internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
- Power Supply Adapter
- Input: 100~240 VAC 50/60 Hz 0.2 A
- Output: 5VDC / 0.5A
- Charging Time
- 4 hours to full charge (using AC adapter, instrument turned off).
- Total Run Time (Single battery charge)
- Minimum 24 hours @ 300 second timebase at 100 ml/min flow rate. Run time may vary due to PM concentrations.
- Operation Environment
- 0 ~ 40 °C operating, non-condensi
|I want to measure
||Black Carbon [BC]
||Particle Monitors,Personal Monitors,Portable Monitors
||Aerosol Research,Construction Dust,Indoor Air Quality,Occupational Exposure,Outdoor Air Quality,Personal Exposure,Tunnels & Car Parks